KK - Chef #426156's Note:
This recipe originated as one from Barefoot Contessa, called Bay Scallop Gratin, however I made a few changes to her original ingredients and the cooking technique. I also make this with Bay Scallops, Sea Scallops or Tilapia - all with equal success. The original recipe used Pernod, however Sambucca is less expensive and is usually available in a "mini" at the liquor store. You can make individual dishes or use a larger casserole, depending on your audience, but I prefer the individual dishes because each person gets some nice juice in which to sop some crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sambuca romana
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 lbs bay scallops or 2 lbs sea scallops or 2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1Make the compound butter:.
- 2Place the butter in a medium size bowl (or in a small food processor) to use with an electric mixer. Add the garlic, shallot, parsley, lemon juice, Sambuca, salt and pepper and mix until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle, mixing until well combined. It should have a mayonnaise-like consistency. Stir 1/2 cup of panko crumbs into the butter mixture and set aside.
- 3If using scallops instead of tilapia, remove the small muscle from each scallop with a sharp knife.
- 4Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 5Using 6 individual heat-proof dishes or a 9 x 13 glass pan, place 1 Tbsp wine in each dish (or all 6 Tbsp in the single pan).
- 6Pat the scallops or fish dry with a paper towel and divide among the dishes or spread out in the single dish.
- 7Spoon the compound butter over the scallops or fish, using your fingers to spread it out somewhat. On fish fillets, spread butter over fillets, leaving about 1/2" around the edges.
- 8Sprinkle the remaining panko crumbs over the scallops or fish, coating lightly.
- 9Bake 10-12 minutes at 425 F, then turn oven to Broil and cook another 2-3 minutes, keeping an eye on the top to ensure it browns evenly. Rotate in oven if necessary.
- 10Serve hot, while top is nicely crispy. Garnish with additional parsley and a squirt of lemon if desired.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scallop or Tilapia Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 604.4
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 1442.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 42.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: