Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Warning! I have it upon good authority that this recipe just really is NOT GOOD. I posted it in good faith, having loved recipes by Lucy Waverman many times before. But sadly, this is not one that stands the test! Prepare at your peril, it's really no a good recipe. Don't waste your money on the scallops for this one :( Original Intro was: A sexy appetizer served in Martini glasses. Eat the scallops and drink the spicy Martini. Great for a dinner with that special someone, or for a dinner party. Cooking time is marinating time. Another recipe by Lucy Waverman at Food and Drink. I am secretly posting this in honor of my wonderful friend Potsie, he'll find this recipe at some point :)
- 1⁄2 cup vodka, good quality, such as Grey Goose
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 large fresh scallops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs coriander
- Combine vodka, lime juice and jalapeño pepper in bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper and place in skillet. Sear about 2 minutes per side or until scallops are browned on the outside but still raw in the centre.
- Place scallops on board and cut into quarters and add to vodka mixture. Let marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Stir in peppers and green onions.
- Divide scallop mixture between 4 Martini glasses adding some marinade. Garnish with coriander. Serve at once.
This is quite a different appetizer! I don't believe we've ever tried anything like it before! I used Finlandia, but would like to try it with Grey Goose as Leslie suggests, or Belvedere, another favorite of mine. This would be fun to have in the summer, at the end of a day of gardening, relaxing on the deck. Made for Recipe Swap #12. Thanks, Leslie! Originally reviewed January 28, 2008.
This was the most interesting martini I have ever eaten?... drank?
I used Bay scallops as I had them on hand. I reduced the marinating time to 2 hours so the little darlings wouldn't get overcooked. They looked stunning and tasted like nothing I have had before. Maybe a drunken ceviche? I made the full recipe although there were only two of us. DH ate/drank his and thought it was ok but didn't want another. I thought it was both intriguing and odd. I had a second one and it became less odd and when I had the third I was rather liking it. A lot apparently. :) Gorgeous presentation and a unique flavour! I would make this again when we have more adventurous people over or at least people with a more sophisticated palate than my own. Made for The Bistro Babes - ZWT 8
Don't you know that I am EVERYWHERE and there are no secrets that you can hide from me? Muhahahahahahaha. :-) Thanks for the dedication, dear friend! I'll shove Dugan out to sea on an ice floe and tell him not to come back to shore until he rustles me up some fresh scallops. Haha. Love you. Potsie!