Recipe by Tracy K
From Epicurious... These were great. Very simple and delicious, even using frozen scallops! The fresh bread crumbs for the topping are essential, really makes the dish. Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juices... Delicious summer dish!
Top Review by Jangomango
Very, very nice taste, nice looking and easy to prepare. I found some scallops still in the shell, attached, so left them in the shell to cook and serve. It took less than 20 minutes (more like 10) but they were Australian scallops which are smaller than the larger American counterparts sold without the roe. The breadcrumbs I used were from day old foccacia and that turned out to be a good texture.
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 2-3 Tbsp dried)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I know it's tempting to use the ready-made kind, but resist the temptation! It's worth it!)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops, side muscles trimmed (you can also substitute large shrimp for half the scallops)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 4 tablespoons chopped parsley, butter, chopped shallot, minced garlic, and grated lemon peel in medium bowl to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Seasoned butter can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add breadcrumbs; sauté until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Rub some of seasoned butter on bottom and sides of four 1 1/4-cup ramekins or custard cups.
- Divide scallops among prepared dishes.
- Spread 1 teaspoon remaining seasoned butter atop scallops in each dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs, dividing equally.
- Dot breadcrumbs with remaining seasoned butter.
- Place scallop gratins on large baking sheet.
- Bake until scallops are cooked through, about 20 minutes or until scallops are opaque.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and serve.