Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Scallops, scallions, a bit a jalapeno crisped up in a light batter. Yum! From chef Jimmy Bradley at the Red Cat in New York City.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 1⁄4 cup pilsnet beer
- 1⁄4 lb fresh scallops, coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- tartar sauce
- lemon wedge
- In a large saucepan, heat 2" of oil to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the all purpose floue with cornmeal, baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt and pinch of black pepper. Add the eggs, clam broth, and beer, and whisk until the batter is smooth. Fold in scallops, scallions, onion, and jalapeno.
- Working in batches, drop heaping teaspoons of the batter into the oil and fry, turing occasionally, until golden brown all over, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritter to paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.