Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is wonderful for any occasion. I even make this during the summer, when its 95 degrees out! You can purchase the Bay Scallops frozen or fresh..I prefer fresh but either is great! In case you don't know.. Bay Scallops are small and Sea Scallops are the large ones. Both can be used for thi soup but the Sea scallops are more beneficial to the soup.
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley, packed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 large leeks, thinly chopped (white part)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-in . pieces
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb bay scallop
- Blend parsley, oil and salt in food processor until smooth. Pour into small bowl. (Parsley oil can be made a day ahead and refrigerated but be sure its room temperature before you use it.).
- Cook bacon in heavy large pot over med-high heat until crispy and brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and place on paper towel to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings from pan.
- Add leeks, garlic and thyme to pot and saute until leeks begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add corn and saute 2 minutes. Add potatoes, clam juice and cream. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Crumble bacon. Add scallops and bacon to soup, and simmer until the scallops are opaque in the center, about 5 minutes, not more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon parsley oil over chowder in each bowl and serve.
Great. I didn't make the "parsley oil" but this was loved nonetheless. I used Yukon gold potatoes, and half and half instead of cream. I also used chicken broth in place of the clam juice. Thank you!