From "Chinese New Year", Good Food Magazine February 1988
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sea scallops, rinsed
- 7 slices fresh ginger (about 1/4 inch each)
- 7 scallions, trimmed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup chinese rice wine or 1/4 cup sake
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 1/2 tablespoons sake
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil or 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 lb snow peas, trimmed and stringed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Cut each scallop horizontally in half to make 2 coins.
- 2Smash 6 slices ginger with flat side of knife. Cut 6 scallions crosswise in half and smash. Heat smashed ginger and scallions, the water, and 1/4 cup rice wine in large saucepan to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, mince remaining slice ginger and scallion and mix with garlic in small bowl.
- 4Mix broth, oyster and soy sauces, 1-1/2 T. rice wine, the cornstarch, sugar, and sesame oil in mixing bowl; set oyster sauce aside.
- 5Add scallops to poaching liquid in saucepan and simmer until just cooked through, about 1-1/2 minutes. Drain scallops.
- 6Heat wok or large skiller over high heat. Add 1 T. oil and heat until hot. Add snow peas, remaining 2 T. rice wine, and the salt; stir-fry until peas are tender but still bright green, about 2 minutes. Spoon peas around edge of large platter and spoon scallops in center.
- 7Heat work over high heat, add remaining 2 T. oil and garlic mixture, and stir-fry 10 seconds. Stir in oyster sauce and cook until thickened. Pour sauce over scallops and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scallop Coins With Oyster Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.9
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 50.0 mg
- Sodium 980.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 29.3 g