Recipe by Z-chef
A ceviche-type appetizer, but not a true ceviche because it's poached. A great special-occasion first course.
- 4 cups water, lightly salted
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil.
- Clean scallops by removing tough muscle on outer edge.
- Add scallops to boiling water and immediately remove the pot from heat. After 8 minutes, remove scallops from water with slotted spoon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix lime juice, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Add scallops, mix well and refrigerate for one hour.
- Just before serving, gently toss scallop mixture with avocado cubes, olive oil and cilantro.
- Serves 2 generously atop a bed of butter lettuce. Serves four as an appetizer.
- Preparation time does not include chilling.