Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this unusual chowder recipe in a recent New York Times newspaper and clipped it out. I haven't yet made this. Sea scallops are giant scallops. The instructions call for a 30 minutes resting time to allow the soup to cool slightly & thicken before serving. I have not included this in the cook time info. Clearly, this is not a dieter's soup and would only be for special occasions.
- 2 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1 lb Spanish onion, peeled,finely chopped (approximately 2 medium sized)
- 2 lbs white potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch size pieces (approximately 3 large)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 quarts heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup Pernod, plus
- 1 tablespoon more Pernod
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- In a large stockpot,over low heat,melt butter.
- Add onions and saute until translucent (approximately 5-10 minutes).
- Add potatoes; cook another 2 minutes.
- Add scallops; cook while stirring another 2 minutes.
- Add cream and bring the heat up until it starts to just simmer; let simmer 30 minutes,stirring often.
- Add Pernod,thyme,salt& pepper to taste; simmer another 10 minutes.
- Let soup rest,off the heat,for 30 minutes (or let chill).
- Reheat gently,if needed, until warmed through (do not boil).
- Ladle into 8 mugs and garnish with the chives.
absolutely delicious! i usually cook scallops with pernod , but this addition to a chowder just puts it over the top! rich, creamy flavor with the hint of anise. i added the 1/4 c pernod when i added the scallops so the alcohol could burn off, then followed your recipe- this is a keeper!