Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple but elegant bisque, wonderful as one course among many or alone with a salad for summer dinners.
- In med saucepan, sauté onion in melted butter until softened.
- Blend flour into butter mixture and gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking and stirring until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, bay leaf and scallops.
- Cook over low heat 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
I think it needed something else.. I added Thyme b/c I don't use cayenne.. Dabblers mentioned Tabasco and Worcester.. good ideas. I WILL use cream next time. Perfect for shrimp to I think, poss abalone? Thanks amberngriffinco
Absolutely delicious. Used 1 cup 35% cream with 1 cup of milk instead of 2 cups of milk as suggested by another reviewer - a brilliant idea. Added an idea from other recipes namely 3 big drops of Tabasco and 1/2 teaspoon of Worcester sauces. We loved it with fresh baked rolls it only lasted for 2 and a bit serves. One word of caution. The scallops will be like bullets if cooked for 15 minutes (must be a typo). We cooked everything except scallops for 10 minutes at Step 5 then added scallops for the last 5 minutes only and they were perfect. Thanks Winni for an excellent recipe. We are going to try leek and mushroom ideas next.
Very tasty. I added half a cup of sliced mushrooms which complimented it nicely.