Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A colorful and elegant addition to any meal.
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 7 ounces diced onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and chopped (yellow, orange or red will serve, don't use green)
- 2 -4 ounces carrots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 -6 curry leaves or 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bay scallop (thawed, if originally frozen)
- Saute onions, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, celery seed and paprika in oil over medium heat for 2-5 minutes. Add water and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Spoon vegetables into a food processor and process until smooth. Add the cooking liquid and process until combined.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and saute curry leaves (or bay leaves) one minute. Add flour and stir into butter until well combined (no clumps). Add milk.
- Add pureed vegetables to the saucepan. Simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add scallops and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove curry/bay leaves, if desired. Serve hot.