Recipe by *Parsley*
A nice seafood soup.
Top Review by Rodney B.
This soup was very yummy... I think with a couple mods I'd give it a 4.5 even. I only made 2 notable changes to the recipe, which were that I used an extra carrot, and I had to add an extra half cup or so of wine because it didn't have enough liquid. Overall, the flavor is wonderful. The cream made it pretty heavy, and I think next time I will substitute the half-n-half as suggested, plus use 1-1/2 cups of wine and 1-1/2 cups of milk. The leeks, carrots, celery, and parsley made a nice flavor combination that was a welcome change from standard chowder.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped, include the leaves
- 1 carrot, pared and chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed tarragon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, more, if desired
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint bay scallop (the really small ones)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter; add onion, celery, carrot, leek, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper, tarragon, paprika and cayenne. Sautee for about 10-12 minutes, until veggies are tender, stirring often.
- Add the wine and scrape up the pan juices. Simmer until reduced by half, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the scallops; cook for about 5 minutes or until the scallops are opaque.
- Add the milk and cream, cook for another 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.