Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Veganized from Gourmet Magazine. These were fantastic! Made for St. Patrick's Day 2012. They turned out fluffy and flaky and were so simple. I used Daiya brand vegan Cheddar cheese shreds, and reduced the amount of cheese to 1 full cup (instead of 1 1/2, which was in the regional recipe) I also used my Pampered Chef Large cookie scoop to make the drop biscuits puffy and even!
- 236.59 ml almond milk, unsweetened (or unsweetened soy milk)
- 4.92 ml apple cider vinegar
- 532.32 ml all-purpose flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 88.74 ml Earth Balance buttery sticks, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 236.59 ml vegan cheddar cheese, grated (I use Daiya brand)
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar to 1 cup almond milk and set aside to curdle while you measure the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in the Earth Balance with your fingertips or a pasty cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the Daiya Cheddar and scallions.
- Add buttermilk and stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.