Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delightful and yummy potato salad with a different twist of vinegar and sour cream as ingredients.
- 6 slices bacon (or 3 for diet conscious)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 lbs tiny new potatoes, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped scallion top
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp.
- Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain.
- Pour fat from skillet into a measuring cup and reserve.
- Coarsely crumble bacon.
- Pour vinegar into a large bowl.
- Put potatoes in a 5-quart pot, covered with cold water by 2 inches.
- And simmer, uncovered until tender, 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Rinse slightly with cold water.
- When potatoes are cool, quarter them.
- Add them to bowl as cut, tossing to coat.
- Add 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat and remaining ingredients.
- Toss and combine well.
Very yummy! I used bacon bits and duck fat, since I had it. It gave it a great flavor. I thought it might need more liquids, but I didn't want to overwhelm that flavor, and it was fine.
Made this last night to go with our bison burgers. The dressing is wonderful! My partner and I loved the tang from the cider vinegar, which made the otherwise heavy cream dressing much lighter. I added pre-packaged real bacon bits and some dill as well. Oh, and don't forget to add a little salt and pepper to the dressing.
I quadrupled this recipe for a big barbeque with about 50 people yesterday. My DH's boss was in charge of meat and DH in charge of the salads which meant all day in the kitchen for me on Friday. Loved it! Not a bite left over and I realized I should have done an extra batch for home! Everyone commented how good it was and a departure from the "normal" potato salad with egg. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough sauce so first batch I doubled the sauce. Didn't need to. Make just as written and it is perfect. Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe and has now been entered into my "tried and true" recipe book!