Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
Honey glazed Italian cookie
- 12 eggs (11 will just have yolks used)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- flour, as needed
- vegetable oil, for covering dough surface
- quality oil (for frying)
- honey, for boiling
- Melt butter, allow to cool to room temperature. Allow eggs to warm to room temperature. Separate yolks from 11 eggs, keep 12th egg whole. Have deep fryer available.
- Beat yolks and whole egg in electric mixer.
- until thick and lemon colored (about 25 minutes). Slowly add sugar and salt after eggs have been beating for 15 minutes. When eggs are thickened, add cooled butter. Mix baking powder with a 1 tablespoons flour, add to egg mixture. Continue adding flour a little at a time until you form medium-firm dough. Knead dough until it is smooth. Oil surface of dough, cover and let rest for 1/2 hour. Hand roll chunks of rested dough into 1/4 inch thickness rope-like lengths. Cut rolled dough lengths into 6 inch long pieces. Loop pieces into pretzel-like shapes. Fry in deep fat until golden brown. When cool, dip one at a time into boiling honey to glaze. Allow to cool on rack with paper towel under rack.