1/2 Photos of Scacchi (Mediterranean Passover "lasagna")
1 hr 30 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
This traditional Sephardic Passover main course uses leaven-free matzo in place of regular lasagna noodles, and has a delicious meat and spinach/mushroom filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 680.38 g ground beef or 680.38 g lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 garlic clove
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2.46 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml raisins, soaked in warm water
- 1Prepare the meat filling. In a medium pan, cook the meat with the onions and a little olive oil until browned, drain off fat. Add the raisins, parsley, allspice and cinnamon, cook for another couple of minutes. Set the meat mixture aside.
- 2Now for the vegetable filling! In a little olive oil, cook the onions until translucent, then add the pine nuts and sliced mushrooms, cook for a couple minutes longer. Stir in the spinach (with a bit of water if the spinach isn't frozen) and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is wilted, set aside.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and soak the matzah in the warm broth until slightly softened and flexible.
- 4Grease a 9x13" glass pan, and place two soaked matzo in the bottom of the dish, with the edges overlapping slightly.
- 5Spread a layer of the meat mixture atop the matzo, followed by more matzo. Add a layer of the vegetables. Continue until the filling runs out, then top the pan with a final soaked matzo layer.
- 6Drizzle the beaten egg/chicken broth along the top of the dish.
- 7Bake until golden brown on top, about 30-45 minutes. If the top layer of matzo curls up or gets too crispy, you may want to pour a little additional broth over it.
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scacchi (Mediterranean Passover "lasagna")
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.7
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.5 mg
- Sodium 249.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 25.2 g