Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
According to Healthy Latin Cooking, this tangy, spiced salt is an indispensable seasoning in Puerto Rico. Unlike commercial mixes, this has no MSG. Sprinkle sazon on meats and seafoods, or use as table salt.
- 1⁄4 cup cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- In a small, dry skillet, combine cumin seeds and both kinds of peppercorns.
- Roast over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until lightly toasted & fragrant. Transfer to small bowl to cool.
- In a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle, grind the roasted spices until they are a fine powder.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder and oregano.
- Store sazon in airtight containers in cool, dark place.
We thought this was great. Used on some pork chops! Made four your great Football win
I love this! It's so nice to make something fresh and enjoy the fragrance. It is a nice spice for burgers, too! Made for Football Pool 2013
I made 1 cup and well enjoyed the aroma during mixing. It tastes great and I'm looking forward to using it on fish or chicken soon or an egg dish or a prok chop, lamb shanks......