One of my favorite Malaysian curries that I have adapted to use more commonly found ingredients here in the US and using the crock pot. It has a delicate flavour and I make it barely spicy for my own tastes. Ground dried shrimp can be found in Mexican markets or you can substitute with a teaspoon of fish sauce. Authentic Sayur Lodeh uses a shrimp paste called belachan, Candle nuts are replaced with macadamia/cashews, and galangal with fresh ginger root. Zucchini is not a vegetable commonly used in this curry but it works well with the flavours of this dish.
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 lemon grass root
- 3 inch fresh ginger, root peeled
- 6 macadamia nuts or 6 cashews
- 4.92 ml coriander powder
- 22.18 ml turmeric
- 4.92-9.85 ml salt
- 3 dried kaffir lime leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml dried chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 4.92 ml dried shrimp, ground
- 2 potatoes, peeled
- 473.18 ml cabbage, chopped
- 473.18 ml cauliflower florets
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 zucchini
- 236.59 ml green beans
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 59.14 ml peanut oil
- 473.18 ml water
- steamed rice
- fresh cilantro
- lime slice
- In a food processor chop together onion, garlic, lemon grass (white bottom part only), ginger, macadamia/cashew nuts into a coarse paste.
- Cut potatoes, carrots, zucchini, green beans into 2" chunks and set aside.
- In a medium to large frying pan on the stove, add peanut oil and heat on high till very hot. Saute the items that were chopped in the food processor, and then after 5 minutes add ground coriander seeds, turmeric, lime leaves, bay leaves, chili flakes, and dried ground shrimp. Saute for 10 more minutes and then set aside.
- Set the crock pot on high and layer the following: potatoes and carrots, then a layer of half of the saute mix. Cauliflower, zucchini, then the rest of the saute mix. Top with green beans and cabbage. Pour in 4 cups of water and salt and cook for 5 hours with the lid on and only remove once an hour and gently mix to redistribute vegetables. During the last 30 minutes add the can of coconut milk and stir gently.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with a sprig of cilantro and a slice of lime.
Curry AND crockpot - now that is the bees knees!<br/>I adore both and after collecting many recipes for meat and egg diners decided to have a family dish that I can eat too.<br/>I have not been able to garden in our field for a while and it has been a source of frustration and it is lovely to be given a huge bag of zucchini and the promise of more (bumper crop), It will be paid for by swopping some of my chutney and several recipe samples for this kind couple. I hope they enjoy as much as we do.<br/>We just fill our two freezers with various cooked vegetable mixes, pies, muffins, slices and there are so many different lovely chutney recipes too. We love to give to the coalman, the dustbin men etc. they work so hard and battle all weathers and we love to show our appreciation with the recipes that some request now!