Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
A coconut vegetable stew which is very popular in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia......Just one serving will not satisfy your craving for Sayur Lodeh!
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 turnip
- 250 g firm tofu
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste (belacan)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 20 small dried shrimp, soaked in hot water to soften
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Chop all the spice blend ingredients and add them to the blender, except.
- the chilli powder. Blend it into a paste.
- Combine coconut milk and water to form "thin coconut milk". Cut all the.
- vegetables into small cubes and sticks.
- After all the spices are blended, add chilli powder according to your.
- tastes. Fry it in oil till the oils in the paste ooze out. DO NOT BURN IT!
- Add thin coconut milk and bring it to a gentle boil. Dump in all the.
- vegetables and tofu and simmer it till the vegetables are tender. Add salt to.
- PS: Adding pepper is not reccomended.
- Serve your Sayur Lodeh over rice.
I wish I could review this properly, but it was inedible as written. Way too much chili paste and powder. When I read "2 tablespoons chili paste" I thought "Wow, thats a lot" and I put 1 tablespoon, which still was overpowering. Then I added the chili powder, which it was not mentioned until the end of the recipe that it was optional! You can imagine how hot it would have been had I added the entire 2 tablespoons chili paste but Im afraid the table spoon each of paste and powder was still too much! I tried to submit a recipe correction to recipezaaer, because I think it should say 2 teaspoons chilipaste, but for whatever reason it wasnt accepted.
Delicious! and easy to make, it tastes very much like the one served at the Indo Cafe, here in Los Angeles. Thanks for posting this; now I can make it at home.