Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A coconut vegetable stew which is very popular in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia......Just one serving will not satisfy your craving for Sayur Lodeh!
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 turnip
- 250 g firm tofu
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste (belacan)
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 20 small dried shrimp, soaked in hot water to soften
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Chop all the spice blend ingredients and add them to the blender, except.
- the chilli powder. Blend it into a paste.
- Combine coconut milk and water to form "thin coconut milk". Cut all the.
- vegetables into small cubes and sticks.
- After all the spices are blended, add chilli powder according to your.
- tastes. Fry it in oil till the oils in the paste ooze out. DO NOT BURN IT!
- Add thin coconut milk and bring it to a gentle boil. Dump in all the.
- vegetables and tofu and simmer it till the vegetables are tender. Add salt to.
- PS: Adding pepper is not reccomended.
- Serve your Sayur Lodeh over rice.