1 hr 35 mins
I made this recipe up as a surprise for my husband on our anniversary. We are on Weight Watchers so we have to watch our fat, calories and fiber. But, he loves Mexican food. He loved it! So I thought I'd share it here and see what you think :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Pam cooking spray, olive oil flavored
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped (or more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 8 ounces refried beans (abt 1/2 of 15 oz can)
- 1/2 lb white meat chicken, boiled, then shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (Kroger's brand works nicely)
- 1/2 cup fat-free monterey jack cheese, shredded (or Mozzarella)
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas, La Torilla (or 4 small)
- 1Spray skillet with olive oil flavored PAM. Sauté chopped onions and red bell peppers over a medium temperature until the veggies just start to soften. Then add the jalapeños, cumin, chili powder and black pepper (salt if you want – but you really don’t need it). Continue cooking until onions are clear - do not over cook.
- 2Transfer the cooked veggies to a medium size mixing bowl, add the refried beans, shredded chicken (boil the chicken the day before for ease of handling) and 3 ounces of the green enchilada sauce. Mix and then set aside.
- 3Prepare an appropriate size baking dish (for 2 large or 4 small enchiladas) by spraying it with olive flavored PAM. Pour an ounce or so of the green enchilada sauce in the bottom of dish. Set aside.
- 4Next, lightly cover both sides of your first tortilla with green enchilada sauce. If making 2 large tortillas, fill tortilla with half of the chicken mixture (1/4 of mixture if making smaller tortillas). Top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese (1/8 cup if making smaller tortillas). Roll tortilla to form enchilada, place on top enchilada sauce in backing dish. Repeat enchilada-filling process for remaining tortilla(s).
- 5Pour any remaining green enchilada sauce over top of enchiladas (top each tortilla with 1T or so of fat free sour cream and 1T sliced black olives – if you want). Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350° oven for 35-40 minutes.
- 6NOTE: No matter which size tortilla you use the serving size it the same – that is, 1/2 of the large tortilla is equal to a serving. If you are a Weight Watcher this entrée has a point value of 4 (250 or so calories)! Did you add the fat free sour cream and the black olives? If so, point value goes to 5 (275 or so calories).
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saya’s Low Fat and Calorie Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.9
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 739.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free monterey jack cheese
whole wheat tortillas