Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
As a Weight Watcher I am always trying to shave a calorie or two without sacrificing flavor! I made this as a side to go with my Saya’s Low Fat and Calorie Chicken Enchiladas. My husband - a true Mexican food fan - loved it! Hope you do too.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces boil-in-the-bag brown rice (Kroger brand works well)
- Pam cooking spray, olive oil flavored
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (fresh or from jar)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Prepare instant boil bag brown rice as instructed on package.
- In the mean time, spray skillet with olive oil flavored PAM. Sauté chopped onions, green bell peppers and garlic together over a medium temperature until the veggies just start to soften. Then add the jalapeños, chili powder and black pepper (salt if you want – but you really don’t need it). Continue cooking until onions are clear - do not over cook. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once rice is done (as per package). Empty saucepan used to boil water and rice, pour rice back into empty pan. Then add cooked veggies and the can of diced tomatoes into the same pan. Mix and heat over medium to low heat to desired serving temperature.
- NOTE: If you are a Weight Watcher this side dish has a point value of 2 (about 125 calories)!
Sorry, this is not Spanish rice. I picked this recipe because I wanted to use up boil-in-bag rice but after using a lot of seasoning it only tasted like tomatoes.
I made this for company because my friend is on Weight Watchers. Everyone liked it even the non weight watchers. I didn't use the jalapenos and used minute brown rice (2cups raw) instead of the boil in the bag rice. Thanks for sharing.