Recipe by DebbiF
This is another of my great grandmother's recipes. Don't be worried about the cayenne pepper, it just adds a dimension to the dish. Another family favorite.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- milk, to glaze
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and cayenne into a bowl.
- Work in butter with a pastry cutter till mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cheese and water to form dough.
- Knead lightly on floured board.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thicknedd.
- Cut into 16 rounds to fit tart tins.
- Press 8 rounds into base of 8 tart tins.
- Prick base lightly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion in butter until transparent, drain.
- Combine onion with remaining filling ingredients and divide filling between the pastry lined tins.
- Dampen edges of pastry, cover with remaining pastry rounds.
- Seal edges together.
- Make a small hole in center of each pie.
- Brush tops with milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes then remove from tins to rack.
- Serve hot or cold.