Recipe by English_Rose
For warming comfort food try this recipe for a traditional French vegetable soup, topped with Gruyere croutons.
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 leeks, roughly chopped
- 3 potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped into chunks
- 1 rutabaga, chopped into chunks
- 1 savoy cabbage, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 chopped, 1 left whole
- 5 ounces prosciutto, finely cubed
- 7 tablespoons white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces gruyere, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a large casserole dish. Add the leeks, potatoes, onion, turnip, rutabega, cabbage and carrot and fry gently, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and prosciutto, and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the wine and stock and just enough water to barely cover the vegetables, if needed. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using the back of a fork gently crush the vegetables. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F Place the baguette rounds on a baking sheet, rub with the garlic clove and brush with the olive oil.
- Bake the baguette rounds for 5 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Top the vegetable soup with the baked baguette rounds and sprinkle over the grated Gruyere.
- Place the soup in the oven and cook until the cheese has melted and is golden brown. Serve.