Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A casserole of potatoes to accompany the main meat dish for dinner
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 5 medium new potatoes
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- Rub a shallow 2-quart baking dish liberally with cut clove of garlic, then generously grease with about 1/2 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice and water. Peel the potatoes, if desired, and cut into very thin slices; place in the lemon water until all are sliced.
- Drain potatoes well and arrange about 1/4 of the slices in an even layer in the prepared dish; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, then top with about 1/4 of the onions and of the cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Heat beef broth, then slowly pour over and around the potatoes. Dot top with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender when pierced.