Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
- 1 large savoy cabbage, about 3 lb., bruised discolored outer leaves removed
- 6 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay wine
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- fresh ground pepper
- Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise and remove the core.
- Thinly shred the cabbage and set aside.
- In a large frying pan over med-high heat, saute the pancetta, stirring often, until the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, 1 handful at a time, to the pan and saute, allowing the cabbage to cook down before adding more.
- Increase heat to high, pour in the wine, add the caraway seeds, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage has completely wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Oven--Preheat oven to 350°; transfer the cabbage mixture to a Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook in the oven, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is soft and creamy, 30-45 minutes.
- OR cook in Slow Cooker--Transfer the cabbage mixture to a slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is soft and creamy, 2 hours on Low.
- Serve at once.