Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve this tasty sauce with meat, fish, eggs and pasta dishes
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) canchopped/diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 10 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 pinch ground mace
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until golden.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, stock, mace and herbs.
- Bring to the boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.