Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I recommend that these savoury treats be served with an assortment of cheeses.
- 10 ounces self-rising flour (dry weight)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 5 fluid ounces whole milk
- sesame seeds
- Place flour and salt in a bowl; rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, and then stir in basil.
- Add tomato purée and milk to the flour and mix to a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Roll out on a floured work surface in to a rectangle about ½ inch thick and cut into fourteen 1½-inch squares.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake at 230°C/ 450°F/ Gas Mark 8 for 10 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Store in a bread bin or airtight container at room temperature.