Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
One of my Mum's recipes...is lovely with a heap of creamy mashed potatoes.
- 500 g beef steaks (I use cross-cut blade or topside)
- 3 teaspoons mustard powder
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar (brown)
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water (approx)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Trim any fat from steak.
- Mix together the mustard, brown sugar, flour, salt and pepper.
- Rub mixture into the steak, and cut into large squares.
- Place steak in an ovenproof dish and cover with sliced onions.
- In a small bowl mix together the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and water.
- Pour the sauce over the steak and onions Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Check sauce during cooking and add more water if required.
Very good. Easy to make, great to smell as it is baking, and even better to taste at the table. It is a keeper recipe!
I have been using this recipie for a while now...its delish and a good winter standby when you can't think what too prepare for dinner. Even the kids love it.
Very, very yummy! I made a couple of changes to make it gluten-free: used GF flour and substituted red wine vinegar for the malt vinegar. I also used an immersion blender to blend about 1/2 of the onions into the gravy once it was done - made a very nice thick gravy. Other than that made it as directed and it was amazing - very tender, great gravy on mashed potatoes and perfect for a January dinner. Will definitely make again - may try in the slow cooker for busy weeknights. Thanks!!