Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ---To Prepare The Rice---.
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Rinse rice with cold water and drain.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Cover the rice very generously with boiling water.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Place pan in a cold oven.
- Turn oven on to 450°F.
- When it reaches that temperature, turn the oven off and leave the rice in the oven overnight without opening the door.
- It will be cooked when you get up in the morning.
- ---To Finish The Casserole---.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet.
- Add green pepper, celery, and onion and continue cooking until vegetables are soft.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Stir in cooked wild rice.
- Pour into a sprayed 3-quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 325°F or until heated through.