Recipe by mummamills
Nicola brought this along for Boxing Day lunch. It looked soooo good and tasted the same! I have done some research on this, and apparently you can use heaps of different fillings, but I must admit that, for me, this one is just right! (if you google "images" and smorgastorta you can get some other ideas!) One of the good things about it is that you make most of it the day before! this is great for a "ladies luncheon" should serve about 12, or a family of five, or 3 teenage boys.
Top Review by joanna_giselle
I made this for a party recently and it was wonderful though I did tweak it a bit. There didn't seem to be a lot of filling so I decided to make it with 6 slices of bread for each layer instead of 9 so that there would be more filling per layer. I also made the recipe with tuna, substituted parsley instead of dill and added a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. I decorated it with sliced eggs, small prawns, cucumber and tomato slices and parsley sprigs. It was delicious the second day and even better the third though the garnishes started to get soggy. Highly recommended.
- 27 slice bread, crusts removed
- 300 ml egg based mayonnaise
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 420 g salmon or 420 g tuna
- chopped dill, to taste
- 118.29 ml finely chopped spring onion
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- 500 g peeled prawns
- 4-6 hardboiled egg
- cherry tomatoes
- sliced cucumber
- lemon wedge
- smoked salmon
Directions See How It's Made
- whip the cream until stiff, then fold thru the mayonnaise. (I used my whisk for both).
- set aside 1/3 of this mixture.
- Drain your fish and pick out all the bones etc.
- Combine with the 2/3 cream mix, adding your onions and dill, cayenne and lemon juice. salt and pepper optional.
- On a sturdy platter, (or a biscuit tray covered in baking paper) lay out 9 slices of crustless bread. If you slices are realy big, use 6 slices, and 3 X 1/2 slices, laying them out to form the base of the "cake".
- spread half the mixture over the bread.
- top with 9 more slices.
- cover evenly with the rest of your mixture and top with the last 9 slices of bread.
- Press it down with your hand to get an even top.
- Using the saved 1/3 of the cream mixture, spread over the top and sides of the cake.
- refrigerate overnight.
- there are no rules to garnishing, a row of egg slices, then some chopped cherry tomaoes, then a band of fresh chopped parsley. You can slice the smoked salmon and do a criss-cross design. Use the cucumber around the sides of the cake. Slice thinly and press against the sides.