1/1 Photo of Savoury Sandwich Cake-Smorgastorta
Nicola brought this along for Boxing Day lunch. It looked soooo good and tasted the same! I have done some research on this, and apparently you can use heaps of different fillings, but I must admit that, for me, this one is just right! (if you google "images" and smorgastorta you can get some other ideas!) One of the good things about it is that you make most of it the day before! this is great for a "ladies luncheon" should serve about 12, or a family of five, or 3 teenage boys.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 27 slices bread, crusts removed
- 300 ml egg based mayonnaise
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 420 g salmon or 420 g tuna
- chopped dill, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spring onion
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1whip the cream until stiff, then fold thru the mayonnaise. (I used my whisk for both).
- 2set aside 1/3 of this mixture.
- 3Drain your fish and pick out all the bones etc.
- 4Combine with the 2/3 cream mix, adding your onions and dill, cayenne and lemon juice. salt and pepper optional.
- 5On a sturdy platter, (or a biscuit tray covered in baking paper) lay out 9 slices of crustless bread. If you slices are realy big, use 6 slices, and 3 X 1/2 slices, laying them out to form the base of the "cake".
- 6spread half the mixture over the bread.
- 7top with 9 more slices.
- 8cover evenly with the rest of your mixture and top with the last 9 slices of bread.
- 9Press it down with your hand to get an even top.
- 10Using the saved 1/3 of the cream mixture, spread over the top and sides of the cake.
- 11refrigerate overnight.
- 13there are no rules to garnishing, a row of egg slices, then some chopped cherry tomaoes, then a band of fresh chopped parsley. You can slice the smoked salmon and do a criss-cross design. Use the cucumber around the sides of the cake. Slice thinly and press against the sides.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury Sandwich Cake-Smorgastorta
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 394.1
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 151.1 mg
- Sodium 741.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 19.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: