I modeled this salad after the kind you get in French bistros -- more a meal than a salad and great for taking as a packed lunch. A little bit of blue cheese mixed in would be divine, if you enjoy that kind of thing.
- 1 large potato
- 2 eggs
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms, sliced (preferrably chestnut)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 cm length cucumbers, finely chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon mustard
- 200 g mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- pepper, to taste
- Wash the potato, then cut it into small wedges.
- Boil the potato until just tender and let cool when done.
- At the same time, boil the eggs until hard boiled (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon until it is as crispy as you like it.
- Once the bacon is cooked, use the fat in the pan to cook the mushrooms and onions.
- Set the mushrooms and onions aside when done.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and mustard.
- Throw the cucumber into the bowl, along with about half the herbs and the garlic.
- When the eggs are cooked, peel and let cool.
- When all the ingredients have cooled, get a big bowl and put the lettuce in, along with everything else prepared to this point except the eggs.
- Use your hands to mix the salad, making sure the dressing coats everything.
- Put salad evenly into two bowls.
- Chop the eggs into four wedges each and use as a garnish.
- Sprinkle remaining herbs on top and serve with a touch of pepper, if desired.