1/8 Photos of Savoury Ricotta Snacks
A simple low-carb savoury snack. It can even take the place of a carb like potatoes or rice, because it's filling. Crisply fried cumbled bacon or dried hot pepper flakes can be added to the mixture to add more oomph. I tried my idea in muffin tins first, but they were a little large. I've made it again, using patty tins. EDITED: I changed my mind about the patty pans -- they were too thin, and I think muffin hollows are still the best bet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ricotta cheese, fresh
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated or 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (the zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarse
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 1Patty tins: if not nonstick, grease with butter or a spray.
- 2For patties, which are fairly thin, set oven at 300 deg F/150 deg Celsius.
- 3If you decide to use muffin hollows, heat oven to 325 deg F/160 deg Celsius.
- 4Put the ricotta in a bowl, and break up lumps with a fork until you have a crumbly mixture.
- 5Fry the chopped onion in a little oil over high heat, stirring. When the onion bits have softened a little and just start to catch, add the balsamic vinegar (for flavour and colour). Stir well and fry a little longer, then take off the heat. The vinegar should cook away, leaving just the flavour.
- 6Add the grated Parmesan, lemon zest, coarse pepper, salt, baking powder and parsley to the ricotta, and mix well by turning over and over.
- 7Add the fried onion. Beat the eggs and add, then the olive oil, and mix to a moist consistency.
- 8Fill patty pan hollows to the top, smoothing with a finger. (They don't rise much).
- 9(Or fill muffin cups to the top). The recipe makes 7 muffins for me – I guess most muffin tins are the same size.
- 10Bake patty tins for about 17 - 20 minutes, until edges are brown and tops start to colour.
- 11Bake muffin size snacks for about 30 minutes.
- 12Serve hot or cooled, not chilled. Handy for a quick snack with tea.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury Ricotta Snacks
Serving Size: 1 (873 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.8
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 27.0 mg
- Sodium 181.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 3.5 g