Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my favourite salad for potlucks and barbecues. Don't be turned off by the unusual combination of ingredients - the different flavours and textures make for a delicious, unique, and beautiful salad. The original recipe called for chicken, but I use cashews for a vegetarian dish that's great as a side or main. Almonds, sunflower seeds, or shrimp for those who eat seafood may also be added. This tastes even better on day 2, when the flavours have mingled and mellowed.
- 1 (6 ounce) box Uncle Bens wild rice, with seasonings (instead, I use 3/4-1 cup of mixed brown and wild rice and add a vegetarian bouillon cube while cook)
- 3 -4 green onions, sliced (with some of the green leafy part)
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, separated into small floret pieces
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or more)
- Cook the rice according to product directions.
- Prepare the dressing.
- Mix the rice and vegetables together. Add the dressing and stir gently.
- Refrigerate to allow the salad to marinate, stirring 2-3 times. I generally allow several hours for this step and never marinate for less than 1 hour.