Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Don't remember where this concoction came from, but it sure is good. I use bone-in chops - they seem to work better than butterfly chops. Of course, the recipe can be halved, but I would suggest the amount of veggies remain the same. Personal preference, I guess - they are really tasty!
- 8 pork chops (well trimmed)
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil, drizzled twice around the pan
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, fairly large
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 -2 celery rib, sliced 1-inch on the diagonal
- 6 -8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sweet pepper, thinly sliced (any colour, or a combination)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (1 tsp. dry)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced (optional)
- In a fairly heavy skillet, brown chops in hot oil.
- Add all vegetables and spices (except parsley and olives).
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat 25-30 minutes or until chops are done.
- Add olives, if using, and parsley.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes longer.