Recipe by MarieRynr
This delicious bread pudding makes good use of day old bread. The perfect accompaniment to Roasted Chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 cups cubed day old bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh chanterelle mushrooms or 2 cups porcini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock just t a simmer. Remove from the heat and add the dried mushrooms. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together the bread cubes, parsley, marjoram and thyme. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add this mixture to the bread cubes, tossing gently.
- Drain the stock from the dried porcini, reserving the liquid, MInce the mushrooms and add them to the bread mixture along with the reserved liquid. Fold well until the bread cubes are thoroughly moistened. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Generously butter an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. Add the eggs to the bread mixture; mixing well. Place in the pre-pared pan, cover with a sheet of buttered foil, and bake in a bain-marie until firm, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Turn the bread pudding out onto a board and cut into thick slices. Serve warm with roasted chicken for a real taste treat!