Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect party nibbles.
For the muffin mixture
- 275 g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 225 ml milk
For the cheese mixture
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 100 g feta cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- You will need a 12 hole mini-muffin tin.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes till its softened and then remove from heat and leave it to cool.
- Once cool, add in the chopped feta cheese and rosemary and season with freshly ground black pepper (there is no need for salt since feta cheese is quite salty by itself) and give it a good mix.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6/400F/200°C.
- Next for the muffin base, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl beat the egg, then add in the milk and give it a good whisk again.
- Next, pour the egg mixture into the flour, using minimum number of folding movements (you should finish folding in 15 seconds and ignore the lumps in the mixture - do not overmix).
- Now gently add the onion mixture into the muffin mixture, folding in, as before, with as few strokes as possible.
- Arrange the muffin cases into the muffin tins them spoon the mixture into them.
- You may even spoon the mixture straight into the tins but they will have to be well-greased.
- Beat the second egg and brush the muffin tops with it.
- Bake them in the centre shelf of the oven for about 20 minutes, or until well risen and golden.
- Remove the muffins from the tins and serve immediately.
Very yummy indeed. =) For anyone who wants to know, 275 grams flour = roughly 2 1/4 cups flour, and 225 ml milk= about a cup.
Mmm, wonderfully rich savoury muffins! The sauteed onion adds a great flavour snd goes so well with the rosemary and feta! Mmmm! I made the full recipe and ended up with 8 medium sized muffins, that didnt last long around here. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us! I will certainly make it again! It would be great for a party buffet or potluck, too! Made and reviewed for the Tea Time Event in the Photo Forum February 2010.
These were really yum! I didn't have any feta so substituted this for cream cheese and used sun dried tomatoes instead of onion, which worked really well. Very easy to make too.