Recipe by Cas
This is easy to adapt for whatever you have - it came out of me being too sick to go shopping! A food processor is great for mixing and grating, and my kids LOVED it. Good ingredients to beat flu (all measurements are approximate, due to what I had in the fridge!)
- 800 g mincemeat (use any meat or perhaps fish; can use eggplant, pumpkin, potatoes, tofu, tempeh etc to make a vegeta)
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 zucchini
- 4 leaves spinach or 4 leaves silver beet
- 1 -2 clove garlic
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 onions or 1 spring onion
- 1 can chopped tomato (can be herb flavoured)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (rice breadcrumbs for gluten-free)
- 1 -2 cup milk (rice or soy for allergies)
- 1⁄2 jar tomato paste
- dry crushed red pepper
- chili, herb
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 -4 cups left over rice or 3 -4 cups pasta
- 1 egg, for binding (optional)
- grated cheese (if no allergies) (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 jar tomato paste
- honey or brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meat,crumbs and milk.
- Grate all vegetables (can use any of your favourites) and garlic.
- Mix meat and vegetables, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, any herbs and spices, and rice (can also use oats).
- Spread in an oven loaf tin, and pat down.
- For the topping, either mix together the tomato paste and honey, or drizzle honey over meat, then top with a thickish layer of tomato paste.
- Bake in moderate oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is cooked.