Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a must try for onion-lovers!
Top Review by Breadie
I was too lazy to look for my recipe and tried this one. We had a hard time eating it with all that cheese. Found my recipe and will keep it instead of this one. Sorry. I really like your recipes, perhaps using half of the cheese will allow the other flavors to come through.
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8x11-inch baking dish.
- Saute onions in 1/4-1/2 cup butter for about 15 minutes over medium heat, until light golden brown, and soft, careful not to over brown!
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the undiluted soup and the milk OR cream (if using).
- Pour over the onions in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter.
- Dip one side of bread slice in the melted butter.
- Layer about 12-14 slices on top of onions, (butter side up in pan).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the bread is golden.