Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
All time favorite for chicken hearts and gizzards.Years ago saw an ole louisiana guy in suspenders cook this up on a tv cooking show.
- 2 -3 lbs chicken giblets or 2 -3 lbs chicken gizzards or 2 -3 lbs chicken livers or 2 -3 lbs chicken heart (I only used hearts and gizzards)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup dry white wine or 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Combine everything except meat in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add meat and simmer 2 hours til tender.
- Serve with rice.
Thanks for posting this recipe karen. I love giblets. I put the giblets in the slow cooker with the wine @LOW for 5 hours, then added the rest of the ingredients for another hour. Delicious!
I can't wait to try this! I'll be doing it tomorrow.<br/><br/>I really love the fact that you're using a mix of innards, which is the cheapest way to eat organic.<br/><br/>Also, the "ole louisiana guy in suspenders" is really inspiring, especially for the suspenders part XD
I absolutely love hearts and gizzards and was looking for a different way to eat them other than my normal way of boiling and making chicken rice. I used the slow cooker per another review,except I threw everything in at once at it wound up cooking on low for about 7 hrs before I got to eat. My only complaint is that they were a little TOO tender for me, but maybe I'm weird and like my giblets a little chewier. My kids liked the recipe, and my fiance thought throwing in some chicken thighs would be good too. Next time, I will try on the stove top and not cook for so long. Thanks for the different recipe on an old favorite!