1 hr 10 mins
This dish is not only ridiculously easy to prepare but is also made from scratch, giving you an extra excuse to gloat. Although this recipe is time-consuming, the onions can be cooked ahead of time and then thrown in with the base at the last minute, if you're in a rush. The original recipe is from Nigella Lawson's fantastic, "How To Be A Domestic Goddess," and I only changed it to make it a little easier for North American kitchens to prepare. Please enjoy! (Updated to reflect comments :D )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- 2Peel and halve the onions, then divide each half into 4 quadrants.
- 3Heat the first portion of butter in a large saucepan, then add the onions, stirring regularly. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until tender and slightly browned.
- 4Add the rosemary, then press into the bottom of a baking dish (I use a casserole dish), sprinkling with about 1/4 cup of the cheese. Leave to sit.
- 5Pour the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl, and add the leftover cheese.
- 6In a seperate bowl, mix together the melted butter, milk, mustard, and egg, then pour all together over the flour mixture.
- 7Stir with a wooden spoon until you get a very goopy dough. Spoon the dough onto the onion mixture, making sure it covers the whole surface evenly and seals the edges.
- 8Pop the whole thing into the oven for about 15 minutes, turn the heat down to about 300 degrees, then give it about another 10 minutes, checking constantly for the top to be golden and crisp looking.
- 9Pull it out of the oven (the crust should test clean with a fork), and let it stand for a few minutes.
- 10Cover with a large plate, then flip it over, remove the baking dish, and voilà: Savoury French Onion Pie!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury French Onion Pie
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 570.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g