Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
I got this recipe from my old home economics cookbook. I had a look at the other stuffed tomato recipes but there was nothing close. This is an extremely simple & tasty side dish.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon bacon, pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 dashes pepper
- Cut a slice from the top of each tomato and reserve, scoop out the centre of each tomato & chop.
- Fry bacon & onion for 1 min, add parsley & breadcrumbs, pepper, butter and tomato centres, mix together over heat for another minute.
- Refill tomato cases and replace tops.
- Bake at 180.C for 15-20 minutes.
This made for a nice side dish. It had nice flavor but just seemed to be missing something for me. Nice and healthy though, which is always appreciated. Thanks for posting. Made for Zaar Staars.
Really enjoyed this recipe, as it is especially suitable for Weight Watchers. I didn't have parsley so used fresh basil which was wonderful with the other flavours in this dish. I'll return to this recipe often!
This was a really tasty recipe. We enjoyed it very much. Loved the breadcrumbs, bacon and onion combo. This quick and easy to make side dish will be made often. Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe that uses ingredients from my garden.