Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe requires a fair amount of work and ingredients, but it's definitely worth the effort for the exquisite end product. Make this for a special occasion, or prepare it in advance and keep it in your freezer. This is best frozen in parts: the crepes should be frozen interleaved with greaseproof paper (i.e. wax paper) and wrapped in foil, and the sauces should be frozen separately. This recipe is from Roz Denny's 'The Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook'
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (or milk and water, mixed)
- oil (for cooking)
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 7 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Make the crepe batter by mixing the flour, salt, egg, and buttermilk or milk/water in a blender until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the filling (the crepes benefit from this sitting time).
- Gently fry the leeks and fennel in half of the olive oil for 5 minutes, and then add the lentils and wine. Cook for a minute to reduce, then stir in the tomatoes and stock.
- Bring the leek/fennel mixture to a boil. Add the oregano and seasoning, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- Fry the onion and mushrooms in the remaining olive oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and heat. Season well, and then mix in the cream cheese.
- Returning to the crepe batter, make about 12-14 crepes in a well heated non-stick frying pan.
- Lightly grease a 20 cm-/8 inch-diameter deep spring-form cake tin, and line the base and sides with some of the crepes, overlapping them as necessary.
- Layer the remaining crepes with the two fillings, sprinkling Parmesan in between and pressing them down well. Finish with a crepe on top.
- Cover with foil and set aside to rest. Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Bake for about 40 minutes, then turn the galette out and allow it to firm up for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- For Vegetarian the stock must be vegetable.