1/2 Photos of Savoury Cheeseburger Onion Pie
1 hr 35 mins
This pie is *so* good, if you love onions you will LOVE this, this recipe makes two pies! I most always add in dried chili flakes and a chopped jalapeno pepper in with the ground beef mixture to kick the heat up, one or two more onions won't hurt either, you can use frozen store-bought crusts if desired and the ground beef mixture may be made a day in advance and refrigerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 unbaked pie pastry (to fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or use 2 tablespoons yellow mustard)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3/4-1 cup chili sauce
- 5 -6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more or less)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Fit each pastry into the pie plates and flute edges as desired; cover and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- 2In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onion, bell pepper, thyme and garlic until the beef is well browned; drain fat.
- 3Mix in Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese and chili sauce; simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to taste; cool to almost room temperature.
- 5Divide and spread the ground beef mixture over the pie shells.
- 6Top ground beef with about 1 cup grated cheddar cheese; set aside while cooking the onions.
- 7In the same skillet saute the onions in butter with 2 teaspoons sugar for about 20-22 minutes or until soft and just beginning to brown.
- 8Sprinkle the top of the cheese evenly with the onions.
- 9In a bowl whisk together half and half with eggs and cayenne pepper then pour half of the mixture over the onions.
- 10Sprinkle about 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over the top of each pie.
- 11Place both pies on a large baking sheet to catch any spills.
- 12Bake 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- 13Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.
- 14Let sit for 20 or more minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savoury Cheeseburger Onion Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2609.8
- Calories from Fat 1491
- Total Fat 165.6 g
- Saturated Fat 73.0 g
- Cholesterol 790.6 mg
- Sodium 3760.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 164.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 37.0 g
- Protein 113.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: