This pie is *so* good, if you love onions you will LOVE this, this recipe makes two pies! I most always add in dried chili flakes and a chopped jalapeno pepper in with the ground beef mixture to kick the heat up, one or two more onions won't hurt either, you can use frozen store-bought crusts if desired and the ground beef mixture may be made a day in advance and refrigerated!
- 2 unbaked pie pastry (to fit a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or use 2 tablespoons yellow mustard)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3⁄4-1 cup chili sauce
- 5 -6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more or less)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Fit each pastry into the pie plates and flute edges as desired; cover and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onion, bell pepper, thyme and garlic until the beef is well browned; drain fat.
- Mix in Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese and chili sauce; simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with seasoned salt and black pepper to taste; cool to almost room temperature.
- Divide and spread the ground beef mixture over the pie shells.
- Top ground beef with about 1 cup grated cheddar cheese; set aside while cooking the onions.
- In the same skillet saute the onions in butter with 2 teaspoons sugar for about 20-22 minutes or until soft and just beginning to brown.
- Sprinkle the top of the cheese evenly with the onions.
- In a bowl whisk together half and half with eggs and cayenne pepper then pour half of the mixture over the onions.
- Sprinkle about 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over the top of each pie.
- Place both pies on a large baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let sit for 20 or more minutes before slicing.
This was so good! I made last weekend last minute and whole family enjoyed. Somehow the bottom shell was a little gooey & undercooked, didn't want to burn rest of pie though- will pre-cook crust 1st when making again. Also, next time I will omit the green bell peppers and perhaps add in some bacon bits instead. Kiddies just didn't like the pepper is all, but this will be a regular rotation meal in our household for sure! TY for posting.
This recipe was very good! My whole family loved this recipe. I did change a few things like the chili sauce. I used a can of Homemade garden salsa instead. We had a lot left over. Next time I am going to add mushrooms. This is a keeper in our house!!! Thanks
5 delicious stars all the way for this one! After one bite , my husband said "keeper". This pie embodied 2 of his favorites. Cheeseburger and Onions! I knew there was no way he wouldn't like it! It's a bit time consuming , but nothing horrible. I cut the recipe in half , easy to do! The only thing that's not in my pie , that is in the recipe is green pepper. We can't eat them. Other than that , everything is per the recipe. Simple ingredients , wonderful taste! This will definitely be made in our home again and again! Thank you for posting this KITTENCAL! Made in honor of John '08