Recipe by tamed_tigress
This is a gorgeous, mellow sandwich filler I have discovered in Britain and got absolutely hooked on! It's a very savoury and cheesy filling with a lovely melt-in-the-mouth texture which makes it the ultimate comfort food. Attention - some people my find this quite smelly, but it's worth it!
Top Review by donnapeters973
An excellent base for cheese savoury and easy to customise. I like to add some finely chopped red pepper, also a tablespoon of vinegar gives the filling a nice "zing". Although this recipe can be eaten straight away, allowing it to marinate in a jar in the fridge for a few days really improves the flavour. A very popular sandwich filler here in Scotland.
- 50 g grated cheddar cheese
- 50 g grated red leicester cheese
- 50 g grated mozzarella cheese
- spring onion, finely diced
- onion, finely diced
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- mix the cheeses in a bowl.
- add mayonnaise to desired creamyness (don`t be too skimpy, though!).
- Add pepper and salt, finely diced spring onion and finely diced onion in quantities that suit you.
- You may omit the Red Leicester and Mozzarella Cheese and use only Cheddar or similarly strong cheese.
- This tastes best if made the day before and not served straight from the fridge.
- Can be used as filler for sandwiches and baked potato (traditional), but is also gorgeous as a dip for vegetable crudities.