Recipe by Derf
Can be put together the night before ready to pop in the oven for breakfast. (I usually add 1/2 cup of chopped onions, cooked in with the apples)Excellant for Christmas breakfast buffet.
Top Review by TEAM MONACO
I was looking over my saved recipes and could not believe no one has rated this awesome recipe!!!! It is absolutely wonderful!!! Everything in the recipe is perfect as is ( I also added the oniones). I have made it several times (the night before) and it was a smashing success. TEAM MONACO
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (3cups)
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 4 cups cubed firm bread
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 2 quart casserole.
- Melt butter in a large frypan over medim heat.
- Cook apples in butter 2-3 minutes , stirring occasionally, until crisp tender.
- Stir in brown sugar, reduce heat to low.
- Cook 5-6 minutes , stirring occasionally, until apples are tender.
- Layer half of each of the bread, bacon apples and cheese in casserole.
- Repeat with remaining bread, bacon, apples and cheese.
- mix remaining ingredients, pour over cheese.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean Let stand 10 minutes before serving.