Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Lorna Sass' Whole Grains, Every Day, Every Way. Really REALLY good LIGHT, MOIST and FLUFFY 100% whole grain muffins! Note: Both metric weight and cup measures included. Personally I prefer weight measurement- no need to dirty more than 2 bowls and 2 forks for mixing :) The combination of flours give it a tender, delicate crumb that is "sweet"- no bitter whole wheat flavour and the EV olive oil lightly perfumes it with a deliciously fruity scent. This combined with the aroma of the rosemary and the salty crunchy parmesan crust makes it an UNBEATABLE breakfast. Ahhh...
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (120g. Original recipe called for whole grain spelt flour but I ran out- white whole wheat flour turn)
- 1 cup barley flour (120g)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, to taste (Originally 1 t dried thyme)
- 2 large eggs (100g without shell)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (365g. I only had 336g, but I would use this amt again because muffins were really as moist as they c)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (52g. Extra virgin for flavour! Yum!)
- 2 tablespoons honey (40g)
- 1⁄8 cup grated parmesan cheese, strong tasting parmesan is best (12g. Originally 1/4 c or 24g grated romano)
- Preheat 400F (200C).
- In large bowl combine all dry ingredients EXCEPT cheese.
- In 2nd bowl lightly whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Stir wet into dry just til moist and roughly combined.
- Spoon into lined or greased muffin pan. I used silicon.
- Sprinkle cheese.
- Bake 12-15 minutes Mine baked for 14 1/2 mins because I happened to be passing by :P.
- These muffins are delicate hot out of the oven. Either wait a couple of mins before lifting them out to avoid decapitation or be really careful if u can't wait like me!
- Best devoured FRESH and STEAMING HOT out of oven.
i'm happy to be the first to report that these are awesome, of course- lorna sass is truly gifted! i have to say though that i went more by her recipe than the modified version, except that i didn't have any parmesan. also used a combination of frshly ground barley and whole wheat because i ran out of barley. and reduced oil to 1 T. wonderful muffins!