Recipe by twissis
Yet another great find from THE BEST OF COOKING by Arne Kruger & Annette Wolter & 1 I have not tried ... yet. This recipe has a great presentation & would be ideal for a spec breakfast, brunch, luncheon or 1-dish meal when paired w/a salad. The pic looked amazing in the cookbook! Give it a try & *Enjoy*
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
twissis has done it again, with easy, above the stars tasty, and a total comfort joy to devour. I used this for a special breakfast for my DH on Sunday~I took twissis' helpful hint, made the potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and browned the ground meat the night before~although it wouldn't be hard to do the day of this meal presentation. I also threw the eggs to boil right in with the eggs, and it saved even more time. I easily quartered this recipe with no problems, and the only change was I used some fresh garlic and sateed' this right after the onion. Terrific ! Will make this again. Thanks!
- 1 lb potato
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 eggs
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 3 tomatoes (halved & seeded)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Peel potatoes & cook in boiling salted water for 15-20 min till tender. Drain & mash w/4 tbsp of the milk, half the salt, the paprika, Tobasco & nutmeg. Set aside.
- Hard boil 6 of the eggs, drain of hot water & cover w/cold water to cool. When cool - shell, halve & set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan & fry the onion & pork till the pork is browned. Sprinkle w/the flour, stir well & cook for 3 minutes.
- Spread the mashed potato mix in a 10-in rd greased ovenproof dish, cover w/the pork mixture & layer the cucumber slices atop the pork mix.
- Place the tomato halves (cut side down) at 6 equal intervals along the outside edge of the dish. Then place 2 egg halves (cut side down) in front of ea tomato half to create 6 pie-like portions.
- Whisk the remaining 4 eggs, milk & salt w/the parsley & pepper. Pour this mixture over the dish & bake for 40 min or till it tests done using the knife method. (If it becomes well-browned & does not test done, tent w/aluminum foil till done).
- TO SERVE: Allow to sit for a few minutes to become well-set, cut in 6 wedge-cut slices & serve.
- TIMESAVER HINT: Boil potatoes in a pot lrg enough to also hold the eggs so they can be hard-boiled & cooling while the potato & meat mixtures are being prepared.