Recipe by Steve P.
These are traditionally served in my Italian family tradition on Christmas and New Years eves. They make an excellent appetizer and go great with beer at parties too!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 16 anchovy fillets (Pieces of Baccala, salt cod, mozzarella cheese, ham or pepperoni can be substituted for anchovies)
- 6 cups oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, yeast, salt, and water.
- Let rest to rise.
- This is a yeast dough so flour is aproximate as temperature and humidity effect yeast doughs.
- The dough should be very soft with just enough flour so that it is not sticky.
- You don't want it to be as firm as bread dough.
- After dough rests for about 2 hours, divide dough into 16 pieces.
- Place an anchovy or alternate filling in your palm.
- Fold dough over and make a ball.
- In heavy pot or deep frier, heat oil to about 350ºF.
- Add Zeppole to hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- If the zeppole don't turn themselves you will need to do it so that they cook evenly and are not raw in the center.