Recipe by Dancer^
When I made this the onions took A LOT longer to cook than 30 minutes. If you want to fix this for a dinner, I recommend that you bake the onions the night before, and then finish up the next evening with the filling. The onions will also be cool then, instead of working with hot onions that just came out of the oven.
- 6 large vidalia onions or 8 medium yellow onions
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 apple, peeled,cored,chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, minced or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked
- vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 1/4 unch off both ends of the onion and peel off dry layers.
- Bake onions, root end down in baking dish for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool and hollow out each onion from top, leaving 1/2 inch shell (outer most 2 to 4 layers).
- Chop 1 cup of reserved onion and saute with mushrooms in a medium hot pan for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and apple and saute 3 minutes.
- Add parsley, marjoram, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper; combine the sauteed mixture with the cooked rice.
- Fill each onion shell with rice mixture.
- Pour enough stock to cover bottom of onions (about 1/2 inch).
- Bake for 20 minutes, basting the stuffed onions with stock occasionally.